Monday, September 19, 2011

Getting THROUGH Your Valley

I was diagnosed with Metastatic Osteosarcoma of the left femur in March of 2010. For a year and a half I underwent intense chemotherapy as well as the amputation of my entire left leg in order to save my life. Please go to my Cancer Journey page to read about my story from beginning to end. Today I am CANCER FREE, healthy, happy and thriving. As a matter of fact, I've never been happier or in a better place spiritually.

It is important for you to know that I wouldn't have made it through a day of the battle for my life if it had not been for my faith in Jesus. It is my desire to share with you my faith, my story and the many topics that the Lord lays on my heart. That is the sole purpose for this blog. To reach out and share what the Lord has done in my life. What He's done for me, He can do for you!

On December 6, 2009 my Pastor preached a message entitled "Yea, Though I Walk Through The Valley." The word "THROUGH" has held special meaning for me since then. Pastor preached that message mere days before I found out my hip was broken for the first time. Before we had even the slightest clue that there may be a bigger, life threatening problem. Every time my Pastor came to visit me in the hospital, at home or saw me at church, he would remind me of the word "THROUGH" and encourage me that YES, Jesus would bring me THROUGH this valley! Well, dear readers, I am here to tell you that He has indeed done just that. In a most miraculous way!

Here are some highlights from that message that spoke to my soul:


Scripture References:
Psalm 110:4 - when a person is in a valley they need a drink
SOS 2:1 - Lilly of the valley
Isaiah 9:17 - valley's are desolate (depression is a deep, dark valley)
41:18
Ezekiel 37:1,2 - perishing in the valleys
Luke 3:1-6 ; reference: Isaiah 40:1-5
Psalm 104:10



Psalm 23:1-6
"The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
 2He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
 3He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
 4Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
 5Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
 6Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever."

*Even though I am walking through the valley I will not go alone, I WILL come through
*By repentance and faith I prepare the way of the Lord. Get the stuff out of the way that holds me back from     serving & living for God.
*There will be NO MORE dark valleys when Jesus comes. One day we will walk through our LAST valley!!!
*There is a difference between walking in a valley and walking through a valley.
*We are going to go through our valley. It's inevitable. If I'm saved I will walk through it. The difference between a saved and a lost person is that I will NEVER die in my valley.
    Thoughts concerning walking through the valley of life
  1. Valley's are places of loneliness
    1. No one understands, I can't tell people what's going on, It's just me and God.
    2. It's not always wise to share your heart.
    3. I can be more alone in a spiritual valley than anywhere else.
    4. Jesus will go with me. He will not forsake me. Even though it may seem like no one knows or cares, He is there.
  2. Valley's are places of looking
    1. In a spiritual valley people go looking for answers and often go looking in the wrong areas. People don't go looking for substance in the valley. They're looking for survival.
    2. A valley experience will cause me to take a closer look at what really does matter. Usually when a Christian gets in a spiritual valley they assess their life. Why am I in this valley? Why do I have this problem?
    3. I may be going after the wrong things. If I go after God I can come out of the valley.
    4. Night sets early in the valleys. It gets dark in the valleys, sometimes you can’t see very far.
    5. A quick route to the valley is by putting the Lord on a shelf and my Christian life and pulling it out when it's convenient for me
  3. There are places of leaning on the Son for direction
    1. Call out on the Lord for direction. What should I do? How can I come through this? Grow through this? How can I come out of this valley as a better Christian?
  4. There are places of letting go
    1. Turing loose of things…. Are my habits really worth this? Is my unscriptural baggage worth me carrying it  through this valley?
    2. What habits have I acquired that hold me back and keep me down? A valley is good for stripping me of these things. The more baggage we cling to the harder the journey and the harder it is to come through the valley.
    3. Wouldn't it be better to win the victory now? To turn loose of the things that are holding me in this valley?
Your Valley May Be:
  • Fear
  • Finances
  • Family Problems - simple solution, put myself in the place where God wants me. Get myself right with the Lord and lead my family the way that I need to. They will fall into place.
  • Physical trouble - Paul had it, a thorn in the flesh. The Lord didn't take it away, but He gave him strength.
I found it fitting to title this blog "Yea, Though I Walk THROUGH The Valley," subsequently the actual web address is http://hoppingthroughthevalley.blogspot.com/. Since I do a lot more hopping than walking these days, I liked the sound of that :)
Please feel free to share this blog with any and everyone you wish. The Lord laid it on my heart to start this blog as a ministry, so don't feel the need to ask me if you can share it with your friends, family or acquaintances. 

I will be updating more on the blog as time allows, but I feel this is a great point to "launch it!" I do plan on writing articles bi-weekly as well, so keep posted for those.

Thank you for stopping by and may God bless you over and abundantly above all you could ever ask for or think!

No comments:

Post a Comment